The Fulton Historical Society is located in this Civil War era home donated to the City by Leonard and Maxine Martin.
The Society is responsible for the operation of the home as a repository of information and materials relevant to the history of the City of Fulton and its inhabitants.
In addition, the Society wishes to preserve the heritage of the community and provide educational opportunities for the purpose of increasing and enriching public knowledge.
Museum Features & Acquisitions
Stained Glass Windows
Walnut Bench Seating
Fulton Memorabilia Collection - including advertising items made by Fulton Patent Novelty
Extensive Photo Collection of Fulton
Genealogy Research Room
Plus Much More
2014 Programs @ Fulton (Martin House) Museum:
January 18, 2014 @ 2pm - "Immigrant Stories: Denmark & India" featuring speakers Anni (Larson) Johnson and Bhupinder Singh. Note: this program is being held on Saturday.
February 16, 2014 @ 2pm - "Immigrant Stories: Egypt & China" featuring speakers Dr. Ahmed Elahmady and Rahwan Apostle
For Fulton History Articles: Click HERE for Fulton History Information
Wayne Bastian Memorial Resource Room
1. Genealogy Resource Room
2. Plat Books
3. Whiteside County History Books
Fulton Historical Society
The mission of the Fulton, Illinois Historical Society is to collect information and materials relevant to the history of the City of Fulton and its habitats, preserve its heritage, and provide educational opportunities for the purpose of increasing and enriching the public knowledge. Adopted November 19, 1998.
$10 Single (annual)
$15 Family (annual)
$25 Business (annual)
Third Monday of Every Month at 7:00PM
Services Available to the Public:
Computer & Resource Room for genealogy and historical information. Printing available for a small fee - $0.20 a copy.
Rental of Facilities:
The home can be used for private parties, social functions and organizational meetings for a small fee.
Fulton Historical Facts
1835 John Baker built first log cabin
1838 Ferry between Fulton & Lyons Post Office opened
1840 First School Built
1842 Methodist Church
1844 First Burials in Fulton Cemetery
1845 Langford and Hall Lumber Co. - first water-powered sawmill
1854 Whiteside Investigator (later Fulton Journal)
1855 Dement House Hotel
1856 First Immigrant from Holland - Thomas Smith
1858 Park School Dedicated
1864 First Log Raft down the Mississippi River
1865 C & NW Railroad Bridge across Mississippi River
1878 White Pine Lumber Industry at its peak
1883 Modern Woodmen of America organized in Fulton
1891 Mystic Workers of the World founded (later Fidelity Life Association) & Lyons-Fulton High Bridge Opened (July 4)
1893 Mississippi Valley Stove Co. began
1894 Public Library founded
1896 Fulton Clay Pipe Factory
1905 Patent Novelty Company moved to Fulton
1907 Prochaska Manufacturing Co.
1910 C & NW Terminal and repair yards built
1912 First Greenhouse Built
1915 Main Street Bricks Installed
1927 Post Office City Delivery service established
1929 Right of Way for Route 30 established
1935 Lock & Dam 13 started
1948 Agrico Chemical Co.
1959 Drives Manufacturing Company
1965 Highest Flood Level
1966 Harbor Crest Nursing Home
1968 Agri-King Company
1980 Flood Wall constructed
2000 de Immigrant Windmill dedicated
2010 Windmill Cultural Center dedicated