Fulton Economic Development Incentives - Enterprise Zone, TIF District, Revolving Loan Fund, and Downtown Historic Business District
Click to see pdf E Zone Map (440 KB)
- Local sales tax deduction on building materials
- Property tax abatement on improvements in the Whiteside County Enterprise Zone, as long as the property is not located in a Tax Increment Financing District (TIF). Abatements vary from 50% to 94% for five (5) years. Abatement is determined by project location.
- Demolition - the increased assessment amount to be abated will be based on the most recent assessment of the property which included the valuation of the orignial building(s).
- EZ Machinery and Equipment Sales Tax Exemption
- Utility Tax Exemption/Machinery and Equipment Deduction - businesses which make an investment in an Enterprise Zone which creates a minimum of 200 full-time jobs or retains 1,000 jobs is eligible for sales tax exemption on personal property used or consumed in the manufacturing process.
The Enterprise Zone Administrator will provide a tax abatement estimate upon request. All Enterprise Zone projects must be certified by the zone administrator prior to start of construction. Building permits are required; there is an application fee. It is recommended to apply 7 days in advance of wanting to order or purchase materials.
Click to see pdf TIF District Map (489 KB)
The Fulton TIF Area is approximately 58.8 acres situated near the intersections of Illinois Route 136 and Illinois Route 84. Incremental property taxes are derived from the increase in the current equalized assessed valuation (EAV) of real property within the redevelopment project area over and above the Certified Initial EAV of such real property. Any increase in EAV is then multiplied by the current tax rate to arrive at the Incremental Property Taxes. During the life of the TIF, the property tax revenues are distributed to the city to finance some of the redevelopment expenditures within the TIF area upon approval of the Fulton City Council.
Revolving Loan Fund
The City of Fulton Revolving Loan Fund is used to stimulate economic growth in the City of Fulton by assisting with the retention and growth of an existing industrial and commercial base, providing needed equity to new start-up businesses and providing an incentive for established businesses to relocate to Fulton.
- The City of Fulton is a secondary lender.
- The City will lend up to $15,000 per each full time employee.
- The City will lend up to 30% of the total project costs.
- Interest rates are typically lower than a bank but must be approved by the Revolving Loan Fund Committee.
- The City’s terms on loan vary between 5 to 20 years depending upon loan amount, project and approval from the Revolving Loan Fund Committee.
- Eligible uses of the loan: site development/infrastructure, construction of a new facility, renovation of an existing facility, leasehold improvements, purchase of new or used equipment, and working capital.
Downtown Historic District
Click to see pdf Downtown Historic District Map (475 KB)
Fulton's Downtown Commercial District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Listing in the National Register honors the property by recognizing its importance to the community, state and/or nation.
- Listing only affects actions to the building that require a federal license, permit or funding.
- Listing does not require owners of private property to open their properties to the public, to restore them, or even to simply maintain them, if they choose not to do so.
- If a building or district is locally designated or listed, it may be subjet to any local ordinances in effect for historic properties.
- Properties listed within a designated district may be eligible to obtain federal historic preservation funding, when funds are available.
- Properties listed within a designated district may participate in programs involving federal historic income tax credits for eligible rehabilitation activities.
Private Commercial Locations
Fulton, Illinois has several properties being sold privately that are ready for commerical use. These vary in size and location. One such property is located on 4th Street in the heart of our Historic Downtown Business District. Several other properties are located at 2 different locations on the east side of Fulton near the intersection of Rt. 84 and Rt. 136. Please call the Fulton Chamber of Commerce at 815-589-4545 if you are seeking space to open or expand your business. We will guide you to the private seller or realtor/developer managing these spaces. We hope you choose Fulton to be the home for your business and look forward to working with you.