Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM: THE HISTORY OF THE NINE-FOOT CHANNEL IN THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER program will be presented by Jerry Jackson of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He is a Clinton native and will share his personal memories and research on Lock & Dam # 13, located just north of the City of Fulton.
Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 2:00 PM: Jay Wolf, a local photographer will present a PowerPoint presentation on his photography. He will show the variety of animals that live in our vicinity. Copies of his works will be for sale.
Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM: “THE CLINTON HISTORY CLUB: WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT?” This recently-organized club is completing a successful year of providing informative tours and programs on the history of Clinton. Co-chairmen John Rowland and Gregg Obren have coordinated the activities. Onsite presentations are held at the Ericksen Center. The Fulton Historical Society is interested in teaming up the Clinton History Club and share in their activities and add some additional programing on the western side of the Mississippi River.
Additional Sunday Programs to be announced soon -
Questions? Call 563-321-0318
Wayne Bastian Memorial Resource Room
- Genealogy Resource Room
- Plat Books
- Whiteside County History Books
Fulton Historical Society
The mission of the Fulton, Illinois Historical Society is to collect information and materials relevant to the history of the City of Fulton and its habitats, preserve its heritage, and provide educational opportunities for the purpose of increasing and enriching the public knowledge. Adopted November 19, 1998.
- $10 Single (annual)
- $15 Family (annual)
- $25 Business (annual)
- $100 Lifetime
Third Monday of Every Month at 7:00 PM
Services Available to the Public
Computer & Resource Room for genealogy and historical information. Printing available for a small fee - $0.20 a copy.
Rental of Facilities
Fulton Historical Facts
- 1835 John Baker built first log cabin
- 1838 Ferry between Fulton & Lyons Post Office opened
- 1840 First School Built
- 1842 Methodist Church
- 1844 First Burials in Fulton Cemetery
- 1845 Langford and Hall Lumber Co. - first water-powered sawmill
- 1854 Whiteside Investigator (later Fulton Journal)
- 1855 Dement House Hotel
- 1856 First Immigrant from Holland - Thomas Smith
- 1858 Park School Dedicated
- 1864 First Log Raft down the Mississippi River
- 1865 C & NW Railroad Bridge across Mississippi River
- 1878 White Pine Lumber Industry at its peak
- 1883 Modern Woodmen of America organized in Fulton
- 1891 Mystic Workers of the World founded (later Fidelity Life Association) & Lyons-Fulton High Bridge Opened (July 4)
- 1893 Mississippi Valley Stove Co. began
- 1894 Public Library founded
- 1896 Fulton Clay Pipe Factory
- 1905 Patent Novelty Company moved to Fulton
- 1907 Prochaska Manufacturing Co.
- 1910 C & NW Terminal and repair yards built
- 1912 First Greenhouse Built
- 1915 Main Street Bricks Installed
- 1927 Post Office City Delivery service established
- 1929 Right of Way for Route 30 established
- 1935 Lock & Dam 13 started
- 1948 Agrico Chemical Co.
- 1959 Drives Manufacturing Company
- 1965 Highest Flood Level
- 1966 Harbor Crest Nursing Home
- 1968 Agri-King Company
- 1980 Flood Wall constructed
- 2000 de Immigrant Windmill dedicated
- 2010 Windmill Cultural Center dedicated