De Immigrant Windmill

Fulton News


The November program will be held on Sunday, the 20th at 2:00 p.m. in the Fulton (Martin House) Museum located at 707 10th Avenue.  The program topic is “THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER:  FULTON’S CLOSEST NEIGHBOR.”  The PowerPoint presentation will cover how the Mississippi River and the City of Fulton have interacted with each other since 1835; for one-hundred and eighty-seven years.

The Fulton Museum Archives has been enriched during its twenty - two years of existence with volumes of photos donated by Henry Kramer, publisher and owner of the Fulton Journal, and articles written and donated by historian Wayne Bastian.

 The presentation will be in chronological order.

 The first topic will begin with the history of Fulton’s bustling, commercial businesses on its natural levee (1850-1900’s).  The volume of business activity that transacted in this location is astonishing between the barge and railroad transactions. 

In the next period of activity (1900-1950’s), the citizens of Fulton chose to use the riverfront as a recreational site for community activities and events. It was named “RIVERSIDE PARK” and was the setting for a large Centennial Celebration in 1935.  A tourist camp site was developed as an attraction to Fulton and the Mississippi River when thousands of people every year were traveling the Lincoln Highway which opened in 1913.  The Lock & Dam #13 was erected by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) and opened in 1939.  

(1950-current).  The historic Flood of ’65 created a need for a dike.  This development also created the DIKE BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE which brought sweeping changes to our City’s riverfront. The ‘de Immigrant” windmill opened in 2000 as a major tourist attraction. In addition to property protection, the paved walkway atop the dike provided a recreational and exercise location with an awesome view of the river and the wildlife around it.  We, the residents of Fulton, now have developed a more personal relationship with the “MISI-ZIIBI” River; which means “Father of Waters” named by the native American Indians who inhabited this area before 1835.

Currently, our closest neighbor has now presented another first for us as the water level is at an all-time low.  Some adjustments and challenges will be shared as a result of the latest phenomena, such as the supply chain impact.

The last and final topic of the program is on the FUTURE of the Mississippi River as the City of Fulton’s nearest neighbor?  It is our turn!  How will we, current citizens, create an interaction between the great river and the citizens of Fulton going forward?   Please come with your thoughts and ideas to share as the final topic of the presentation.  Take photos and memories to share in this segment of the program.

The north entrance is easily accessible.  Refreshments will be served. 

For more information, please contact Barbara Mask at 563 321-0318.  


cot grov scha

The October program will be held on Sunday, the 16th at 2:00 p. m. in the Fulton (Martin House) Museum located at 707 10th Avenue.  The program is on rural schools in Whiteside County and features the book, THE HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY, ILLINOIS SCHOOLS.  The presenters are:  Carolyn Duncan and Sandra Miller who compiled the research completed in a 4-year project conducted by the Whiteside County Genealogical Society. 


                                                              EARLY TOWNSHIP SCHOOLS

Early settlers in Whiteside County realized a need for schools when they arrived here in 1830s.  In 1849, an election was held in the existing precincts for or against organizing schools, and while the vote was favorable, it was denied on a technicality.  In 1851, another election was successful and the county was divided into townships and the first town meetings were held in April, 1852.  

The school districts were numbered in each township and remain identified and located in the current township even though the district numbering is done on a county-wide basis.  In recent years, consolidation has disregarded township and county lines.  In the newly-published book, THE HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY, ILLINOIS RURAL SCHOOLS by Whiteside County Genealogical Society, the schools are cited by their township number.

                                                                            THE BOOK

The book is 730 pages of information, history, pictures and interviews from students and teachers on over 200 schools.  Copies will be available to purchase for $40.00.

Attendees to the program are encouraged to participate in the time-tested school activity, recalled as “Show & Tell.”  Please take photos, memories and any other rural school memorabilia to share during this segment of the program.

The Fulton Museum has a room dedicated to school artifacts, school building photos and other interesting items related to rural schools which will be available for touring following the program.

The north entrance is easily accessible.  Refreshments will be served.

For more information, please contact Barbara Mask at 563 321-0318

The "Annual Fall Bulky Waste Clean-Up Day in Fulton for 2022 is Saturday, October 15.


Bulky Waste Day

The City of Fulton will have a bulky waste pick-up day on Saturday, October 15th beginning at 5 am. All items should be placed at the curb in front of the residence. Each residence may place up to two (2) large bulky items, along with one (1) cubic yard of miscellaneous waste. A cubic yard is equivalent to about six (6) 30 gallon garbage containers. All small miscellaneous items should be bagged, boxed or containerized in a manageable manner. For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable items visit the city website: (Absolutely no electronics will be picked up this year due to new regulations…this includes, TV’s, computers, stereo and video equipment, etc.)



Page 1 of 4