ComEd Media Relations
ComEd Offers Safety Tips on Flooded Basements
Storms bring a risk of basement flooding. Because so many people have critical systems and other electronic devices in their basements, there is a higher risk of electrocution when entering a flooded basement to assess damage. ComEd offers the following safety tips for customers with flooded basements.
• Customers should call ComEd at 1-800-EDISON-1 (1-800-334-7661) to disconnect power before entering a flooded basement.
• Never wade into a flooded basement unless all electricity has been disconnected (such as power that supplies sump pumps, freezers, etc.). Water may be in contact with electrical outlets, appliances or cords.
• If you are experiencing a power outage, do not wade into a flooded basement. Power may be restored while you are in the flooded basement and the motors on appliances may be submerged.
• Never attempt to turn off power at the breaker box if you must stand in water to do so.
• Never operate electrical appliances or devices or touch electrical switches, outlets or cords if you are standing in water or are on a wet surface, or if you are wet.
• Be aware of any electrical equipment that could be energized and in contact with water.
Public safety is paramount during storms and ComEd encourages the public to remember to take the following precautions:
• Never approach a downed power line. If you encounter a downed power line, immediately call ComEd at 1-800-EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661) or access our website at ComEd.com and report the location. Spanish-speaking customers should call 1-800-95-LUCES (1-800-955-8237).
• Check on elderly and other sensitive family members and neighbors to ensure their safety, and in the event of an extended outage, assist them in reaching an alternate location.
If customers experience a power outage, they can text OUT to 26633 (COMED) to report their outage and receive restoration information, and can follow the company on Twitter @ComEd or on Facebook at Facebook.com/ComEd to stay up to date on the latest ComEd storm restoration information. ComEd also has an interactive outage map on its website, which allows customers to easily find information on the location and size of outages and get estimated power restoration times. Additionally, ComEd has introduced a mobile app for iPhone and Android® smart phones that gives customers the ability to report power outages and manage their accounts.
More storm safety information can be found on ComEd’s website at https://www.comed.com/safety.
We will be going “green” by publishing our annual water quality report on our city’s website. Our current report is now available for viewing by going to the Residents New/Current Tab and clicking on the Living in Fulton Menu Item.
Click here to gain quick access to this report: Quality Water Report 2017
If you have any questions about this report, please contact Fulton City Hall at 815.589.2616