Mayor Ottens called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. On roll call, Alderpersons VanZuiden, Brondyke, Mask, Nederhoff, VanKampen, Banker, King and Hunt were present.
The Pledge of allegiance was recited.
Communication from Visitors
Manreet Kaylan gave an update on the brewery. He informed the council that he is exploring the opportunity of working with a new partner who will bring 10 years of experience in the brewing and restaurant industry. He is very much excited about this venture and finalizing plans for the partnership at this time.
Approve consent agenda; approve council meeting minutes from October 24,2022, and bill list. Alderman King motioned, seconded by Alderman Brondyke. No discussion to follow. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
Approve the sale of property in the Fulton Industrial Center to Chase and Sons. Alderman Hunt motioned, seconded by Alderman King. No discussion. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
Approve Draw #6 for the DCEO 8th Street Project. Alderman VanZuiden motioned, seconded by Alderman Hunt. No discussion. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
Approve a topographical survey in the amount of approximately $31,000 for the downtown revitalization improvement project. Alderman Mask motioned, seconded by Alderman King. No discussion. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
Approve a Resolution provide an Inducement to Dan Dolan regarding a redevelopment project in the City of Fulton. Alderman VanZuiden motioned, seconded by Alderman King. City Administrator Clark explains that this was a resolution suggested by the City’s TIF Attorney, Rob LeSage, stating that Mr. Dolan is purchasing from the city and can incur all his costs. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
Approve moving forward to amend ordinance to “Ban or Prohibit” leaf burning within the city limits. Alderman VanZuiden motioned, seconded by Alderman VanKampen. Discussion to follow. All Aldermen in agreement that if we stop the burning of leaves on the appropriate days, a bigger problem will arise. Blowing leaves in the roadways, no raking, and burning at times that are outside of the designated days. Opening the City dump one time per month for leaf drop off was suggested by Alderman Hunt. All were in consensus to keep as is for now. Roll call vote, 8 no motion failed.
Approve employee Christmas bonuses in the amount of $300 for full time employees and $150 for part time employees that work more than 20 hours per week. Alderman VanZuiden motioned, seconded by Alderman King. No Discussion. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
Approve Class C Liquor License to Adim Dzeladini, Brunch House, located at 1901 4th Street. Alderman VanKampen motioned, seconded by Alderman Hunt. Short discussion. Mayor states that they would like the opportunity to serve alcohol in the restaurant area. City Administrator states that we are not creating a new license, a C is available. No further discussion. Roll call vote, 8 yes, motion approved.
- Tax Levy – City Administrator Clark is recommending the usual annual increase that the city can ask for without a referendum. That will be 5%. This has been the standard increase that the city has asked for in the past. Will be on the December 12, 2022, agenda for approval.
- Audit Review – Discussion at next meeting
- Early American Crafters Agreement – page 62 explains the major difference in the trolley rental 1$500/per year….3 events, $500 each. Will be on for vote next meeting.
- Increasing fines for City Ordinance Violations from $25 to $100 – Chief Neblung states that this would cover, nuisance, trash and other violations would start at $100, while parking would start at $25. Chief Neblung states that they will work with individuals who are not able to pay the fine at one time. He states that it costs more money in the long run for a prosecution, that’s why he would like to see the increase. Will discuss with City Attorney Shirk, and on the next agenda for approval.
- Christmas Luncheon to be held on Wednesday, December 14, 2022, at noon, in the Council Chambers.
- ARPA Funds – Will discuss at later date.
- Bond Rating – City Administrator states that S and P Global, who rates bonds for the city, contacted him and stated after reviewing the audit and city finances that they increased the city’s rating from B+++, to A-. This does not seem like much, but in the “bond” world it is. They also stated that they believe it will continue to increase due to the City’s general reserves being very healthy at this time. Alderman Nederhoff explains the importance of a good rating. This will insure future opportunities for bonding projects.
Finance – N/A
Personnel – N/A
Economic Development – Alderman Mask spoke about Harbor Crest building being sold, for Senior Housing. It will be a rental apartment type arrangement.
Parks and Recreation – N/A
Public Safety – N/A
Marina – N/A
Zoning – Included
Mayor’s Report – Mayor states that Angelo’s will be moving into the old Springers building on 4th Street. They will be looking at a three-month renovation before opening. March should be the opening month.
Aldermen Report – Alderman Hunt is concerned about the liquor license that was given to Vicky Grewal. They have not utilized their license in the allotted time. Mayor Wendy says she has been in touch with Ms. Grewal and will give ample time.
Alderman VanKampen is concerned about the properties on 14th Ave that their yards have literally been destroyed from the sidewalk project. The city will investigate the problem. PW Director Sikkema will contact the state and see if something can be done.
City Administrator Report – N/A
Chief of Police Report – Included. Revamping the evidence room. All evidence will be bar coded in the future. Funds for this project are being covered by the Drug Fund. Cameras are being installed for the Flock Camera System. (License plate readers)
Public Works Director Report – Included
Fulton Tourism – Included
Historical Society – Included
Adjourn to closed Session to discuss sale of property and personnel. Council adjourned to closed session. Alderman Mask motioned and seconded by Alderman King to enter. All in favor.
Return to Regular Meeting. All Aldermen in favor.
Adjourn Meeting. All Aldermen in favor.
Tammy L Garibay