Mayor Ottens called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM and directed the City Clerk to call roll. On roll call Ald. Randy Boonstra, Gene Field, Margaret Crosthwaite, Dan Nederhoff, Sue VanKampen, Barb Mask, Keith King and Paul Banker. Also in attendance Bill Shirk (City Attorney), Tammy Garibay (Deputy Clerk), Randy Balk (Interim City Admin), Dale Sikkema (Zoning Director), James Rhoades (Police Chief), Amanda Fosdick (City Treasurer) and Dan Clark (Public Works).
The pledge of allegiance was recited. The invocation was given by Pastor Royann Mathews.
Visitors at the meeting included Bill & Liz VanZuiden, Ellen Shepler, David Dykstra, Jill Pepin, Neil Luker, Chuck Dykstra, Jake Mossbeck, Nick Crosthwaite and Bob Whitten. Bill & Liz VanZuiden live in the condos on Milnes Dr. they are asking the city plow the road. The city has patched the road but won’t plow. Dan Clark says it is not a city road. The interim city admin will look into the situation and find out who is responsible for plowing the road.
Mayor Ottens asked if there are any questions on the consent agenda; approve Meeting Minutes from August 7, 2017 and August 14, 2017, Treasurer’s Report, Bill List and July 2017 Budget to Actual. Ald. Mask asked if we installed a water fountain at the RFCC, Tammy said it is a drinking fountain that needed to be fixed as this was something done while Regina was still Tourism Director. Ald. Mask also asked about the large amount paid to Rock River, which is a fuel company that delivers fuel. Dan Clark said the amount is split between all departments. With no further questions Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the consent agenda. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Ordinance to amend the date and time of regular meeting of the City Council to the second and fourth Monday of each month at 5:30 PM beginning in the month of November. Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. Field to approve the ordinance for the change of council meeting days. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Fulton Township request to obtain Wi-Fi connection from the City’s I-fiber line. This allows the township to hook up to I-Fiber but the City is not paying for it. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the request to obtain Wi-Fi connection from the City’s I-Fiber line. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Pay request for Sewer Lining Project needs to be approved to send checks. This will allow Tammy to issue checks to Willet Hofmann, CFPS and Hoerr as well as grant funds being dispersed. With no questions Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to the pay requests. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Need to create city ordinance to advertise the sale of the RFCC Building. Need to include in advertisement the curves equipment; electronic sign, kitchen equipment, etc. do not come with the building. Also have the option for individual to bid on just the building or bid on the building and north parking lot. With no further discussion Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. King to create ordinance to advertise the sale of the RFCC Building. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Mayor Ottens is looking to get some road repairs completed yet this year, looking at the month of September. The roads to be repaired are 3rd Ave and 6th Street and will be paid with income from the 2012C Bond and additional funds from the MFT Fund. Wit no further discussion Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. King to complete road repairs to 3rd Ave and 6th St. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Chuck Dykstra with the Fulton Retail Development Group is looking to have the city’s approval for a one-way alley going east from 4th St. between 11th and 12th Ave. It has been requested that signs must clearly mark the one-way. With no further discussion Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. Boonstra to approve the one-way alley. Roll call vote (7 yes, 1 abstain).
Need to establish a $5,000 minimum limit for Capitol Fixed Asses Purchases, recommended but Wipfli Audit Firm. The City has been doing this for years but was never set in stone. Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the Capital Fixed Assets minimum limit. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Awesometown is looking to renew its Special Use Permit to allow concerts and other activities in a residential area. With no discussion Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Boonstra to approve the Special Use Permit to Awesometown for another year. Roll call vote (8 yes).
With no further discussion Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. VanKampen to adjourn. With voice agreement the council adjourned at 6:03 PM.
Fulton City Clerk
City of Fulton
Committee of the Whole
August 21, 2017
1. No public input
2. Committee Chair Reports
• Budget Committee-Still looking at budget revisions, will have more information at the next council meeting
• Public Property Committee- Randy Boonstra handout out information on surplus properties in Fulton. Randy is narrowing down the properties the city could sell so they no longer have to maintain and mow.
• Public Safety- Keith King let the council know the police department is looking into getting a canine to help with drugs, safety, lost children/person. When the police department looked into getting a dog in the past it was going to cost approximately $70,000. They would like to raise money to get a dog, will be put on the next agenda.
• Parks and Recreation- Barb and Sue would like to make improvements to the Steve Klooster Memorial on 9th Street. Mayor Ottens asked they get with Interim City Administrator Balk to get a budget for the project.
• Marina- Looking to extend the launch ramp at the marina approximately 15-20 feet for boaters. The extension will help when the water gets low in the marina.
• Zoning- N/A
• Economic Development- Mayor Ottens is still doing research and will make a decision soon.
• Interim City Administrator Report- N/A
3. Mayor’s Report- Start looking for a Tourism Coordinator to work part-time (15-20 hrs.) with a starting pay of $24,000. At the next meeting there will be a job description available and then be able to advertise in the news paper of the position available. At the next meeting going to have an ordinance ready to allow the City Administrator to hire all city personnel except for department heads.
4. Alderman Reports- N/A
5. Public Works Director- Employees and caretaker are still working on cleaning up Heritage Canyon. JBR is responsible for the flooding occurring to the condos they are aware and working with the city to hopefully resolve the issue for the condo owners.
6. Police Chief- Numbers this year are up compared to entire last year. Jim Rhoades explained what he did/learned during his training conference the City paid for him to attend.
7. Fulton Historical Society-Martin House- N/A
8. Closed Session- Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. King to enter closed session to discuss personnel and properties. The council entered closes session at 6:52 PM. Ald. Field motioned, seconded by Ald. Mask to exit closed session the council exited closed session at 7:08 PM.
9. Adjourn- Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to adjourn, with voice agreement the council adjourned at 7:08 PM.
Fulton City Clerk