Mayor Ottens called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM and directed the City Clerk to call roll. On roll call Mayor Ottens, Ald. Gene Field, Margaret Crosthwaite, Dan Nederhoff, Sue VanKampen, Barb Mask, Keith King and Paul Banker. Also in attendance Randy Boonstra, Bill Shirk, Dave Bartels, Tammy Garibay, Debi Ervin and Dave Bartels.
The pledge of allegiance was recited. Invocation was given by Pastor Wayne Wiersema.
Visitors at the meeting included Gary VanKampen, Sue Ottens, John Prins, Clink Kettler, Pam Donoho, Evelyn Medenblik, Jan Olson, Cathy Baker, Joan Harms, Mike VanZuiden, Harold Smith, Ellen Smith, Elsie Foster, Kyle Huebner, Austin Holcomb, Larry Jones, Trudy Feldt, Kathy Kingery, Kevin Promenschenkel, Jane Luker, Neil Luker, Craig Wilson, Don Wilson, Chuck Dykstra, Angie Ryder, Sue Huebner, Jill Nederhoff, Charlene Johnson, Carol Janvrin, Jean Wilkin, Ron Koehn, Richard Daehler, Bob Whitten, Jacqueline Covey, Colleen Temple, Dan Dolan, Eric Sipes, Richard Farwell. Charles Dykstra spoke about the potential new restaurant in Fulton, the owner of Gils is looking to open a restaurant if they are able to get their liquor license. Dan Dolan owner of Fulton Crossing was present asking the council for help filling empty space in his building. Dan came to town 3-4 years ago and when asked by the City of Fulton to make the project bigger and spent approximately $1.5 Million.
Appointment of Michael VanZuiden as 4th Ward Alderman. Ald. Field motioned, seconded by Ald. King to approve the appointment of Mike VanZuiden as 4th Ward Alderman. Roll call vote (7 yes).
Swearing in ceremony of new alderman Mike VanZuiden to 4th Ward.
Mayor Ottens asked if there are any questions on the consent agenda; approve meeting minutes, approve treasurer’s report and approve budget to actual. It was asked where the gaming funds are being transferred, treasurer was not present to answer question. Ald. Nederhoff asked if payments were received from Fulton Lodging. Randy Balk has contacted them regarding payments for October, November and December. With no further questions Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the consent agenda. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Approval of using funds from the water/sewer depreciation fund. Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. Nederhoff to approve request using $14,498.00 from water/sewer depreciation to fix motor failure of well #2. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Opening of sealed bids for the RFCC. The City of Fulton received one bid from Kyle Huebner for the building and north parking lot in the amount of $120,000.
Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. King to enter closed session to discuss the sale of city owned property. The council entered closed session at 5:43 PM. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Ald. King motioned seconded by Ald. Mask to exit closed session. The council exited closed session at 5:49 PM. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. VanZuiden to accept bid from Kyle Huebner for $120,000 to buy the RFCC. Roll call vote (9 yes).
Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. VanKampen to adjourn to the Committee of the Whole.
Minutes recorded by,
Fulton City Clerk
City of Fulton
Committee of the Whole
January 22, 2018
1. Public Input-N/A
2. Chief Miller/Ron Koehn- Windmill needed repairs after mechanical failure that happened in September of 2016. The millers received a repair cost in April of 2017. In September 2017 repairs were done as well as some safety improvements. The final figure on the improvements was $33,169.94. Asking the City of Fulton for $5,000 towards the repairs completed. Money for the repairs came from Miller Volunteers, Friends of the Windmill, Windmill Steering Committee and donations. The shortfall was exactly $4,018.04. Ald. Mask requested this to be put on the next agenda to pay $4,018.04 from General Reserves for windmill repairs.
3. Drives Building- Handout presented and update on the Drives Building plans.
4. Committee Chair Report
• Budget Committee-N/A
• Public Property Committee- N/A
• Public Safety- Margaret Crosthwaite received a call for a handicap parking spot in from of Cindy Struckman’s home at 928 12th Ave. Ordinance must be passed for handicap spot, can be done but anyone can park in spot with proper sign. Attorney Shirk will write up ordinance for next meeting.
• Parks & Recreation- N/A
• Marina- N/A
• Zoning- Dale Sikkema provided a list of requests from each category for the year of 2017
• Economic Development- N/A
5. Mayor’s Report- Discussion on liquor licenses, Attorney Shirk informed council and visitors the city has the right to limit liquor licenses however once a liquor license is issued it cannot restrict a gaming license. The city has the right to change fees on liquor licenses by type. Mr. Don Wilson was present to present information on liquor license. Mr. Wilson is the owner of the Shell strip mall, he signed a lease with Nancie’s but also had signed a non-compete with Julie’s current tenant. Mr. Wilson provided a handout explaining why the City of Fulton needs to allow another business like Julie’s into Fulton. Mayor Ottens requested a full liquor Class A license to DJ’s, new restaurant going into the old Chinese restaurant on Main St.
6. Alderman Reports- Ald. Banker received a bid for repairs on outside of City Hall building. The bid was in the amount of $1250. This repair would fall under maintenance, have Public Works Director request repairs be complete.
7. City Administrator- N/A
8. Public Works Director- N/A
9. Police Chief- Sending 3 officers for drug enforcement training in April, funds are available in training to send the officers. Will wait until spring on surplus property vehicle to see if Public Works will have anything to get rid of. Ordinance needing to be amended changing wording to “above 10 grams.”
10. Tourism Coordinator- Debi was present to inform council of meeting she will be going to at the end of February after receiving a free ticket, she plans on getting more children involved in tourism and she went to the bald eagle watch at the lock and dam.
11. Fulton Historical Society- N/A
12. Adjourn- Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. King to adjourn. Roll call vote (8 yes). The council adjourned at 7:02 PM.
Minutes recorded by,
Fulton City Clerk