Mayor Ottens called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM and directed the City Clerk to call roll. On roll call Mayor Ottens, Mike VanZuiden, Gene Field, Margaret Crosthwaite, Dan Nederhoff, Sue VanKampen, and Keith King. Ald. Barb Mask and Paul Banker were absent. Also in attendance Dave Bartels, Randy Boonstra, Dale Sikkema, Dan Clark and Debi Ervin.
The pledge of allegiance was recited; invocation was given by Randy Boonstra.
Visitors at the meeting included; Roy & Mary Jo Nelson, Jessie Pawa, Dan Mahoney, Larry Russell, Harold & Helen Smith, Jane Luker, David & Angela Dilley, H. Wiebenga, Chuck Dykstra, Jacqueline Covey, and Daniel Nardini. Dan Mahoney lives on 12th Ave in Fulton and it requesting help. There was a shooting that occurred in his own backyard, now his daughter is afraid to go outside. His neighbor is crazy, scary and has filed a no trespass on him. David & Angela Dilley are also neighbors on the same block and have had issues with loud music, kids in the area, huge concern not wanting a child hurt/dead and the vehicles and fireworks. Very fearful of retaliation and wanting the council to know this will escalate. Please help us, do whatever you can to prevent this situation from happening again.
Mayor Ottens asked if there are any questions on the bill list; approve bill list for the month of July. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. VanZuiden to approve the bill list. Roll call vote (6 yes, 2 absent).
Opening of bids for the sale of city owned property generally known as the lot south of the property owned by Joe Maresca. There was one bid received from Joe Maresca in the amount of $2,500. No further action was taken at this time. Put on next agenda for approval.
Opening of bids for the sale of city owned property generally known as the lot south of the property owned by Riverbend School District on 3rd St. There was one bid received from the Fulton Ministerial Association (Food Pantry) in the amount of $1,000. No further action was taken at this time. Put on next agenda for approval.
Chief of Police Bartels reported the number of drug related arrests made in Fulton as 36 with 22 of them being residents of Fulton. Which means 68% of the arrests for methamphetamine are Fulton residents.
Approval to purchase Godwin pump for public works department. This item has been part of the budget. Needing this pump for water main breaks, digging holes, when we get to much rain to fast. Had to borrow Albany’s pump so it will be nice to have our own. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the purchase of the Godwin pump. Roll call vote (6 yes, 2 absent).
Approval to purchase replacement Automatic Metering System for water & sewer. The current system has become outdated and can’t get replacement pieces, new handheld system will be able to tell if a home has a water leak. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. VanZuiden to approve the purchase replacement automatic metering system for water & sewer. Roll call vote (6 yes, 2 absent).
Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to adjourn to the Committee of the Whole. Roll call vote (6 yes, 2 absent). The council entered the Committee of the Whole at 5:59 PM.
With no further discussion Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. VanKampen to adjourn. With voice agreement the council adjourned at 7:10 PM.
Minutes recorded by,
Fulton City Clerk
City of Fulton
Committee of the Whole
July 9, 2018
1. Public Input & Presentations- Jane Luker asked if they would still be able to use Drives Building for American Queen and Duchess visitors, Admin Boonstra said yes they would.
a. Student Resource Officer for Riverbend High School- Looking to hire SRO for $69,000 a year, the school district would pay ¾ of salary with City of Fulton & Albany paying the remaining ¼ of the salary ($8,700 from each town). The officer would work for the City of Fulton over the summer to prevent additional overtime.
b. Ordinance for new small wireless facility program- boxes are placed on telephone poles around town for better cell phone service, state has passed bill saying they must pay city to place boxes on poles. Must pass ordinance to get paid, put on next agenda for approval.
c. Approval to switch phone carriers and equipment- information included in handout breaking down current costs and price of switching. The city could save over $14,000 a year by switching companies. Put on next agenda for approval.
d. Approve 2017/18 Audit- there were a couple minor suggestions to close checking account set up for DHB and move funds. Also suggest to build water/sewer depreciation fund balance to $200,000.
e. Fidelity/Drives Building Next Steps- Ald. VanKampen would like to motion to reconsider last vote on Drives Building. Admin Boonstra has included three alternatives for the Drives Building in the packet. Motion to reconsider should happen on August 13 as long as everyone is present at the meeting.
f. Needing motion to write down debt from economic development to the general fund of $178,000. This needs to occur in order to be in complaint with the auditors. Admin Boonstra will ask auditors for the correct wording on the motion. Put on next agenda for approval.
g. Schedule council workshop- Admin Boonstra would be happy to schedule a workshop if council is wanting to have one.
2. Committee Chair Reports
a. Budget Committee- N/A
b. Public Property Committee- N/A
c. Public Safety- N/A
d. Parks & Recreation- Ald. VanKampen would like to meet with the members of the REC board, Andrew Meyers, Jackie Wilkin and Kyle Folk.
e. Marina- N/A
f. Zoning- N/A
g. Economic Development- N/A
3. Mayor’s Report- appointing David Murphy to Zoning Board at the next meeting.
4. City Administrators Report- included in packet
5. Aldermen Reports- Ald. VanKampen had FOIA request for the 17 resumes received for the City Administrators position. Attorney Shirk said those resumes/applications cannot be requested, only the current city administrators resume/application can be subject to the request.
6. Public Works/Dan Clark- street striping may not get completed as the county is requesting bids currently, not sure when it will be done. Looking to replace street signs that are faded in town. Asking aldermen to check wards for drainage areas that need to be addressed. There will be a light placed on the pump by the condos so the residents know the pump is running.
7. Police Chief/Dave Bartels- Will provide additional information on the SRO officer. Also have been seeing an increase in counterfeit bills, be aware.
8. Tourism Coordinator- Looking forward to stops from American Queen and Duchess in August. Will be having another Fulton Summer Nights Tuesday July 17 from 6 to 8 PM by the windmill. Also looking to get bikes in town like Clinton, IA has received.
9. Adjourn- Before adjourned Ald. VanZuiden asked council to rise about the cloud hanging over us, we need to come together. Currently he does not feel it is worth our time to meet. Ald. Field motioned, seconded by Ald. VanKampen to adjourn the committee of the whole back to the regular council meeting. Roll call vote (6 yes, 2 absent). The committee of the whole adjourned at 7:09 PM.
Fulton City Clerk