De Immigrant Windmill

City Council Meeting Minutes September 10, 2018

City of Fulton
Regular Council Meeting
September 10, 2018

 

Pro Tem Mayor VanZuiden called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM and directed the City Clerk to call roll. On roll call Pro Tem Mayor Mike VanZuiden, Ald. Gene Field, Margaret Crosthwaite, Dan Nederhoff, Sue VanKampen, Barb Mask, Paul Banker and Keith King. Ald. Sue VanKampen was absent. Also in attendance Randy Boonstra, Dan Clark, Debi Ervin, Jeremy Leitzen, Dale Sikkema and Bill Shirk.


The pledge of allegiance was recited; invocation was given by Wayne Wiersema.


Visitors at the meeting included; Allen Christiansen, Tim Snyder, Bonnie Simon, Leone Wood, Phyllis Henry, Heidi Kolk, Paul Wolf, Arlene Considine, Jane Luker, Harold & Helen Smith, John Rolfe, Rich Huizenga, Trudy Feldt, Darwin Olsen, Chuck Dykstra, Barry & Lisa Skaaland, Daniel Nardini, Jill Nederhoff, Lindsay Barnhart, Charles Arey and Chuck Miller.

Heidi Kolk is concerned with the mud and water at the bottom of 3rd Ave and 4th Street. She has mud on driveway, sidewalks, rocks, flowers. She has contacted many people and still has not been resolved. Rich Huizenga is concerned with the mud and sand coming down the hill, it is not directly effecting him at this point. He noticed landscape fabric has been put down on part of the land but believes they need to do it on all of the land to ensure erosion from happening. Paul Wolf has shoveled mud off his driveway 6 times and there is still mud. Paul asked Darwin about putting mats on rest of mud, he responded saying yes that could be done. Jane Luker asked what is citizens position on cleanup of driveway and grass. Also what is being done to prevent this from happening again. Jane asked Darwin if beach will be cleaned off of the grass? Darwin responded saying he will do what the city asks, just want to build homes and not have any issues. Admin Boonstra said it is not the city’s responsibility to come in and clean, there are no codes to cover this issue until the issue becomes a nuisance, which has happened. Working with the developer Darwin Olsen to mitigate the issue by placing mat down to grow grass. Darwin Olsen apologized to city and home owners for issues. There is no way he could predict rain and was out of town when original issues occurred. Rest of the times was present and personally shoveled mud. I did not want this to happen either, in the 28 years of building never had to more than a silt fence, always worked. Will be doing more erosion control, hired Spencer excavating to put 20 huge blocks on property. Once issues have been mitigated Spencer will be finishing mud cleaning from road and properties. I have taken an eye sore and made 4 clean lots to build homes. Darwin would like to apologize to Heidi Kolk as they met for the first time tonight and appreciate her patience throughout the process.


Business


Approve amendment to Section 50.04 of Chapter 50 relating to water and sewer hookup fees and implement a schedule of fees. Looking to raise prices in order to cover costs to city and nothing more. Currently city is losing money if do not make changes. Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the amendment to Section 50.04 of Chapter 50 relating to water and sewer hookup fees. Roll call vote (7 yes, 1 absent).


Approve request from Rich Kummerer to vacate alley adjacent to his property. Require approval of city council in order to proceed with request. Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. King to approve request to vacate alley adjacent to Rich Kummerer’s property. Roll call vote (7 yes, 1 absent).


Approve request for funds from Fund 36 (Parks & Recreation) for the construction of a $25,000 bicycle bridge on 4th Street and $10,000 for paving of bicycle path along 4th Street between 18th and 19th Avenues. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Nederhoff to approve the request to use funds from Fund 36 to pay for bicycle bridge ($25,000) and pave bike trail ($10,000). Roll call vote (7 yes,1 absent).


Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to adjourn to the Committee of the Whole. Roll call vote (7 yes, 1 absent). The council entered the Committee of the Whole at 5:59 PM.


With no further discussion Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to adjourn, with voice agreement the council adjourned at 7:03 PM.


Minutes recorded by,
Lindsey Nederhoff
Fulton City Clerk

 

City of Fulton
Committee of the Whole
September 10, 2018

  1. Public Input & Presentations
       a. Revised request from Barry & Lisa Skaaland for planting trees on city property- The Skaaland’s were present to ask the council to approve landscaping on city property, revised to make sure fire hydrant will not be hidden. Plants will be 20 feet from the fire hydrant and know if easement causes damages they will repair the landscaping themselves. Ald. Nederhoff thought we already discussed anyone has access to the paved path and already voted on the topic. Ald. King does not think we should be discussing the issue again. Chuck Miller (neighbor) said the developer put in the paved path, it is a busy intersection with the mail, ups and FedEx drivers using the path to stop or turn around. Mr. Miller has agreed to cut down two trees that are currently on city property which he planted 35 years ago. Ald. VanZuiden asked if the council would like to reconsider this at the next meeting. Roll call vote to put on next agenda (2 yes, 5 no, 1 absent). This item will not move on.
       b. Request approval and support of city council to plan special City Festival for October 27- Looking to host a Fall Fest at the Canyon, need council’s approval in order to plan the festival. Debi is working on planning the event, put on next agenda for approval.
       c. Discuss committee appointments- Mayor Ottens not present, discuss at the next meeting
       d. Direct City Administrator to discuss with JBR Development their responsibilities to solve water issues on their 6th Ave condo development- Admin. Boonstra and Dan Clark met with developer, the developer is responsible for the water runoff. Allen Christiansen is requesting the city put in a bigger pump. Director Clark said the pump size is not going to make a difference as to how fast the water will drain; the pipe would have to be bigger. Attorney Shirk said the city needs to force the developer to fix run off because he signed the contract.
       e. Next steps on Drives Building- Arlene Considine claims the Drives building was the finest in the 1920’s-30’s. She spoke with David Rose of Clinton, IA and doesn’t think it should be torn down instead the city should be proud and bring people to town. Instead of council voting on decision to tear down the citizens of Fulton should get to vote on what happens to the building. My husband and I put in our estate to give to the Drive’s building, but what will happen if the building is no longer there. Admin. Boonstra says no one wants to develop the building, group doesn’t want to buy it so the last option is to demo it. The company that could demo it is in town and wiling to save us money. Asking council to get asbestos abatement started no matter what the decision. Sounds like the council wants a community center and museum. Ald. Mask said just talked with you Randy and you said there was no hurry on the Drive’s Building. Will be talking with group at the next meeting and report back to the council. Wanting to combine three places into one, did not talk about keeping money from Martin House after questions was raised, money would stay with house. Jane Luker asked if there is a plan? I think everyone needs to see the plan whether it’s a demo or not. Also need to discuss plans or options for the property. Ald. Nederhoff said there is no alternative plan, no ideas, no funding and cost comparisons. He has a credibility issue with city saying they would put a roof on the building. We want to keep control of the property but won’t let group run it. Trudy Feldt says it is going to cost 1 Million whether the building is renovated or build new. Ald. VanZuiden needs to see a need for a new community center, said from day 1 money should stay with Martin House not for the city to take.
    2. Committee Chair Reports
       a. Budget Committee- N/A
       b. Public Property Committee- N/A
       c. Public Safety- N/A
       d. Parks & Recreation- Ald. Mask & VanKampen would like the council’s opinion on what to do with the former Blecha lot the city owns. Would like to do some landscaping and a mural on the building with the owner’s approval.
       e. Marina- N/A
       f. Zoning- N/A
       g. Economic Development- N/A
    3. Mayor’s Report- N/A
    4. City Admin Report- included, Workshop schedule for October 6, 2018 has been cancelled.
    5. Alderman Reports- Ald. Mask is asking for the council’s approval to spend approximately $800 for the Martin House Museum. Have always come to city when unusual expenses come up. Also the warden for the prison in Thomson, IL will be speaking on October 21st at the Fulton Presbyterian Church.
    6. Public Works- N/A
    7. Police Chief- N/A
    8. Tourism Coordinator- Have been working on the Greek River Bike Path to signage up and visible. Businesses can pay a onetime $25 fee to have their business listed on website, that way tourists know what Fulton has to offer. Also please let Debi know when any activity is going on so she can put it on the city website and/or Facebook page. Would like this to be a resource for citizens and tourists alike to see what is going on in town.
    9. Adjourn- Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Mask to exit the Committee of the Whole meeting. Roll call vote (7 yes, 1 absent). The council returned to the regular council meeting at 7:02 PM.
    Lindsey Nederhoff
    Fulton City Clerk