Mayor Ottens called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM and directed the City Clerk to call roll. On roll call Mayor Ottens, Ald. Randy Boonstra, Gene Field, Margaret Crosthwaite, Dan Nederhoff, Sue VanKampen, Barb Mask, Keith King and Paul Banker. Also in attendance Bill Shirk, Dwayne Hamilton, James Rhoades, Dale Sikkema and Dan Clark.
The pledge of allegiance was recited. The invocation was give by Pastor Wayne Wiersema.
Visitors at the meeting included Bob Whitten, Jacqueine Covey and June Preloger. June Preloger is a resident of Morrison and wanted to make the council aware of how much she enjoys coming to Fulton to eat Elsie’s meals. She believes it is a good thing for the community and everyone benefits.
Mayor Ottens asked if there are any questions on the consent agenda; approve Meeting Minutes from August 21, 2017. With no questions Ald. Mask motioned, seconded by Ald. VanKampen to approve the consent agenda. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Amending ordinance section 31.002 and 31.092 Relating to Employment of Employees. This gives the City Administrator the right to approve hiring of city employees without it coming to the council. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Boonstra to approve amending ordinance section 31.002 and 31.092. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Would like to start advertising for a part-time Tourism Coordinator. Ald. Mask asks the council get to review the job description before submitted to be advertised. Mayor Ottens plans on getting that description to the council before next council meeting for review. He also said the part-time position would be 32 hours with a salary of $25,000. With no further questions Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. King to approve advertising for a part-time Tourism Coordinator. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Fulton Lodging is looking for a 12-month extension on the balloon payment. Ald. Nederhoff asked if the terms remain the same for the extension. Attorney Shirk said they would remain the same with the payment due 1 year later on 8/20/18. With no further questions Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Boonstra to approve the 12-month extension on the balloon payment to Fulton Lodging. Roll call vote (8 yes).
The council is needing to approve the following Office Appointments; City EOC Coordinator- Keith King, City Collector/Deputy Clerk- Tammy Garibay, City Treasurer- Amanda Fosdick, City Attorney- William Shirk, City Health Officer- Stephen Harrison and City Zoning Officer- Dale Sikkema. Ald. Nederhoff motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to approve the Office Appointments as presented. Roll call vote (8 yes).
With no further discussion Ald. Crosthwaite motioned, seconded by Ald. King to adjourn. Roll call vote (8 yes).
Fulton City Clerk
City of Fulton
Committee of the Whole
September 5, 2017
The committee of the Whole meeting started at 5:40 PM.
1. No public input
2. Committee Chair Reports
• Budget Committee-N/A
• Public Property- N/A
• Public Safety- put on the next agenda vote to fundraise money for a police dog
• Parks and Recreation- N/A
• Marina- N/A
• Zoning- The next meeting will be held on 9/14/17 at 6:30 PM for Warren Juist who is looking to build a garage. Having a hard time finding people to be on the Zoning Board so may need to call council members to fill in.
• Economic Development- N/A
• Interim City Administrator- N/A
3. Mayor’s Report- Bear Development with hopefully breaks ground the end of the month. Will be having a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate. Awesometown closed as of 8/31/17 so the special use permit is no longer any good. Heard they moved their location to Camanche IA.
4. Aldermen Reports- N/A
5. Public Works Director- reported the road repairs on 3rd Ave should start 8/25/17 as long as everything goes as planned
6. Police Chief- N/A
7. Closed session- Ald. Boonstra motioned, seconded by Ald. King to enter closed session to discuss personnel and the sale or purchase of property. The council entered closed session at 5:55 PM. Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to exit closed session at 6:57 PM.
8. Adjourn- Ald. King motioned, seconded by Ald. Crosthwaite to adjourn, with voice agreement the council adjourned at 6:57 PM.
Fulton City Clerk