De Immigrant Windmill

City of Fulton Council Meeting Minutes, June 13, 2022

City of Fulton

Council Meeting Minutes

June 13, 2022



Regular Meeting

Mayor Ottens called the meeting to order at 5:33 p.m. On roll call, Aldermen King, Banker, Mask, VanKampen, Nederhoff, Hunt and Brondyke were present. Alderman VanZuiden was absent. Staff present, were City Administrator Clark, Police Chief Neblung, Public Works Director Sikkema, and City Clerk Garibay. Visitors were in attendance.

The Pledge of allegiance was recited.

Recognition of Volunteers – N/A       

There was no communication from visitors.


Dan Dolan – Sale of Property – Did not attend, no presentation.

Chuck Dykstra – Township Letter Review for vacated property. Short discussion. Mr. Dykstra included a proposed letter to all property owners adjacent to the vacated property in question. Aldermen Mask and Brondyke said they would like a picture of the property the township would like to purchase for future cemetery burial sites. This picture would be distributed to the property owners along with the letter. Both Aldermen will discuss this soon and reach out to the property owners. Further discussion will take place when property owners voice their opinions on the proposed purchase. A recommendation will be brought back to the council when all information is collected.

Consent Agenda

Approve consent agenda; approve council meeting minutes from May 23. 2022 and the bill list. Alderman Hunt motioned, seconded by Alderman King. No Discussion on the consent agenda. Roll call vote - 7 yes, motion carried.


Approve ordinance authorizing sale of municipally owned real estate to Corey Council. Alderman Brondyke motioned, seconded by Alderman Mask. Short discussion to clarify the option to repurchase by the city was not included, due to the fact this is just an additional small piece of property adjoining his already existing lot. Roll call vote, 8 yes, including the mayor’s vote. Motion carried.

Approve ordinance authorizing sale of municipally owned real estate and sale contract to Kenny Mueller for property located in the Industrial Center. Alderman Brondyke motioned, seconded by Alderman King. Short discussion. Property will sell for $15,000 per acre, plus survey costs and closing costs. Roll call vote, 8 yes, including the mayor’s vote. Motion carried.

Approve an ordinance amending Standing Committees to add a Personnel Committee. Alderman Mask motioned, seconded by Alderman VanKampen. Short discussion. Mayor Ottens states that along with herself, Alderman Mask and Alderman Banker will sit on the committee.  Roll call vote, 7 yes. Motion carried.

Approve grant draw for the 8th Street Project in the amount of $23,549.17 to Porter Brothers from the CDBG funds and $5,500 to Community Funding and Planning Services. This funding will come from City funds. Alderman VanKampen motioned, seconded by Alderman King. Short discussion. City Administrator Clark explained that CDBG funds were the funds that were given back to the state from the old Revolving Loan Fund and could only be used with State approval for certain infrastructure projects. No further discussion. Roll call vote, 7 yes. Motion carried.

Approve the purchase of Industrial Center Property to Dan Dolan as was presented earlier in the meeting. No action. Mr. Dolan was not present.

Approve funding (and source) for Council Improvements (Chairs and painting). Alderman King motioned, seconded by Alderman Brondyke. Discussion to follow. Chairs were discussed. City Administrator Clark will come back next meeting with expense quotes for chairs and painting. Alderman Mask was not in favor of giving up her chair but had no objections if any other council person felt a need for a new one. Mayor Ottens stated it was more of a “radius problem” and felt that smaller chairs would be a better fit. Alderman VanKampen motioned on tabling to the next meeting so more information could be gathered. Roll call vote, 7 yes. Motion tabled.

Approve Cannabis Fund Expenditures. Alderman Mask motioned, seconded by Alderman Brondyke. Discussion to follow. City Administrator Clark said that this discussion has taken place many times, but a decision should be made on how funds should be mandated.  Alderman Mask said that sidewalks should be a priority because that was the number one goal at the annual budget workshops, along with alleys and streets, but could be labeled infrastructure in general.

Alderman Hunt would like to see 25% go directly to the Police Department. Possibly a vehicle depreciation should be started. The extra funding could help with additional expenses that come up in that department that are not budgeted for.

Mayor would like to see at least 75% go to infrastructure and the remaining 25% be left open to fulfill any other needs that may arise in the future.

Alderman Nederhoff does not believe any should be bench marked specifically to the Police Department. He believes that the public should see some results from the monies that are being earned. The citizens need to see what the council is going to do for their community with these funds – they are intitled to it as taxpayers. Most councilmen agree that the public needs to see some action and improvements to the community.

Alderman Mask would like this to be evaluated in one year. This could be done at the annual budget workshops.

Motion will be that 75% go to infrastructure, and the other 25% be set aside in reserves for any other project or necessity that comes along and is approved by the council for funding.

Sidewalk repairs will be bid out.

Roll call vote, 5 yes, 2 no (Alderman Nederhoff and Alderman King) Motion carried.


Special Event Application

Mayor Wendy and Alderman Mask seem to think that the application is a bit confusing. City Administrator Clark states that's why we are having the discussion. We need some input on what the council would like to see on the application.

Public Works Director Sikkema states that he would like to see a cost for barricade rental. The monies collected for the rentals would generate funds for new barricades and equipment down the line. Most other cities do charge for the rentals.

Chief Neblung states that the cost for over time for a policeman to monitor these events is $52 per hour. Most other cities are reimbursed from the event planner for additional officer coverage for the event.

Administrator Clark would like all the Aldermen to look over the contract that is included in the packet and make any changes and recommendations - we will look over at a future meeting and come up with a final application.

Windmill Steering Committee Contract - “Articles of Agreement”

City Administrator Clark met with Jane Orman-Luker and Bob Newton to discuss the agreement. Most everything in the agreement is the same except they would like the annual funding to increase from $5000 to $7500 per year. The increase would cover their yearly expenses that have increased over the years. This includes all their supplies and extras that they might need. Will put on next agenda for a vote.

Air - BNB’s

Alderman Mask would like to see that they are registered at City Hall in case any problems arise. Attorney Shirk states that the city should look at where you are going to allow it, and some sort of regulations should be in place.  Zoning Board should have input. Residents have already contacted the mayor about their concerns.

Alderman Banker not in favor in his neighborhood and does not believe that most residents would be in favor.

Alderman King wants to know who is going to be responsible when a problem arises. Who is going to police it? Alderman Hunt would like to have a caretaker within a five-mile radius to deal with problems of the given property.

Alderman Brondyke states he would like everyone to read the article in the IML magazine. He says it is very informative.

Further discussion will happen at an upcoming meeting.


Mayor states that quarterly reports from committees would be due at the August 8, 2022, meeting. Aldermen would only be paid for one committee meeting per quarter, and all other meetings attended would not be paid.

Alderman Nederhoff asks is this because we are worried about finances and money? Mayor Ottens says, yes most definitely. He than states that he finds that very ironic, especially when you want to purchase new chairs and painting, that is not necessary. It is something to think about!

Alderman Mask does not agree with this at all.

Finance – Included in packet

Economic Development – Included in packet

Parks and Recreation – N/A

Public Safety – N/A

Marina – N/A

Zoning – N/A (Mayor still looking to fill 2 positions on the Zoning Board of Appeals Committee)

Mayor’s Report – N/A (1st meeting of month starting in July of 2022 – Alderman’s request)

Aldermen Report – N/A

City Administrator Report – will be 2nd meeting of the month

Chief of Police Report – Included in packet (1st meeting of month)

Public Works Director Report – will be 2nd meeting of the month

Tourism Report – N/A (Alderman Mask reports that the American River Cruise Line will not be stopping in Clinton and Fulton this year due to contract issues)

Andresen Nature Center Minutes – Included in Packet

Fulton Historical Society Report – Included in Packet


Mayor Ottens states that the Downtown Development Group is now going to meet quarterly.

Closed Session to discuss Personnel, Union Negotiations, and Sale of Property. Alderman Mask motioned, seconded by Alderman King. Roll call vote, 7 yes. Entered closed session at 7:04 p.m.

Return to Regular Meeting. Alderman Mask motioned, seconded by Alderman Brondyke. Roll call vote, 7 yes. Returned to meeting at 7:19 p.m.

Adjourn Meeting. Alderman VanKampen motioned; Alderman Hunt seconded. All in favor, 7 yes. Meeting adjourned at 7:20 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Tammy L Garibay

City Clerk