Are you looking to getaway from the hustle and bustle of your busy life and explore the great outdoors? Fulton, Illinois is nestled along the banks of the Mighty Mississippi River and is a perfect destination to "roll in" on your bicycles and get lost...on the trail that is...a shared-use biking or hiking trail.
What to do?
- Cruise the Great River Trail (62.5 mile-long trail in all) and stop along the way to cool your heels or refuel with great food and drinks! There are many opportunities along the trail to take in the beauty of the Mississippi River right on your bike!
- Take a short detour from the main Great River Trail just north of Fulton, and watch barges lock through Lock & Dam 13. Dam tours are held on Sundays at 1 p.m. between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You can enjoy a plethora of bird species which can be viewed at the Lock and Dam.
- Fulton also has a 6-mile loop around and through the City of Fulton where you can stop off and visit Heritage Canyon (an 1850’s settlement), the Andresen Nature Center, the Martin House Fulton Museum, the Fulton Marina, Fulton's very own de Immigrant (authentic and fully-functional Dutch windmill), and the Windmill Cultural Center. If you would like to try your hand at disc golfing, we have Millview Disc Golf Course, a nine-hole course found near the Fulton Marina along the bike trail.
Where to stay?
After a fun-filled day, you and your family can enjoy a restful night’s stay at Fulton’s AmericInn by Wyndham - Fulton . You will find all the amenities you need at the AmericInn, which is conveniently located on HWY 84 and 136, and just off the Great River Trail.
If you enjoy camping, consider Rockwood State Park, just 15 miles east of Fulton on Route 30, near Morrison, Illinois. Another beautiful option, also very near the Great River Trail, is the Army Corps of Engineers' Thomson Causeway, overlooking the Mississippi River just 8.5 miles north of Fulton on Route 84 to Thomson, Illinois. Once in Thomson, turn west onto West Main Street just a few short blocks. Entrance to the Thomson Causeway will be on your left.
What to eat?
There are several places to enjoy a bite to eat in Fulton.
- Krumpets Café (www.krumpetsbakery.com)
- Steam Anchor Coffee & Café (www.steamanchor.com)
- Paddlewheel Inn
- Manny’s Too (www.mannyspizza.com/fulton-il)
- Sunrise Family Restaurant
- Fulton Steak & Ribs (www.fultonsteakandribs.com)
- Or pack your lunch and eat at one of Fulton's six community parks within the city limits.
Continue to browse www.cityoffulton.us website for more information on any of the attractions or restaurants listed above, or call the tourism office at 815-589-3925 for help in planning your Fulton get-away!